Elks Aidmore

Historic Timeline

◀ Go Back

1936

November 1, 1936

A representative was appointed from the Georgia Elks Association to serve on astatewide committee to formulate plans to enable Georgia to secure legislation and an appropriation so as to participate in Federal matching funds. These funds were to be made available to states to finance medical treatment programs for indigent handicapped children. This committee became the Georgia League for crippled children.

November 1, 1936

1937

October 17, 1937

The Executive Committee of the Georgia Elks Association meeting in Decatur passed a resolution urging all Elk Lodges throughout the state to aid in arousing interest in civic and service clubs in programs for the handicapped. Columbus Elks Lodge was the first to act favorably on this resolution. The resolution also urged that each Elk make a voluntary contribution of fifty cents a year to finance work with the physically handicapped.

October 17, 1937

August 1, 1937

A survey of crippled children and their needs in the state of Georgia was completed by the Works Progress Administration. The survey reported that at the time there were known to be 7,557 children with serious handicapping conditions in the state. Only one-half of these children who lived in cities were receiving needed treatment. One quarter of the children living in rural areas were being treated. One out of five of these children were unable to read and write.

August 1, 1937

November 14, 1937

A meeting was held in Atlanta of all service agencies interested in crippled children. The old Georgia League for Crippled Children was reorganized and Dr. Theodore Toepel was elected President. At this meeting the League affiliated with the International Society for Crippled Children, which was later to become the National Society for Crippled Children and Adults.

November 14, 1937

November 22, 1937

The General Assembly of the State of Georgia met and passed enabling legislation and an appropriation of $60,000 making it possible for Georgia to take advantage of available federal funds and to establish a treatment program for indigent handicapped children. After establishment, this program was put under the direction of the Child Welfare Division of the State Department of Public Welfare.

November 22, 1937

1938

February 4, 1938

Organizations other than the Elks dropped away from the Georgia League for Crippled Children. The group was again reorganized under the name of the Crippled Children's League of Georgia. On this date, corporation papers were granted by the Superior Court. The petitioners for this charter were Dr. Theodore Toepel, Judge John S. McClelland, J. Clayton Burke, and Charles G.Bruce.

February 4, 1938

April 2, 1938

The first clinic for crippled children was held in Marietta, Georgia under the sponsorship of the State Department of Welfare.

April 2, 1938

May, 1938

The League assumed sponsorship of a convalescent home on Windsor Street, then being operated by Dr. Martin Myers.

May, 1938

1939

July, 1939

The home was moved to 3784 Peachtree Road, which was leased by the League. The League sponsored a few children there, but did not own or control the home.

July, 1939

1941

March 15, 1941

The League bought the above property and assumed complete control of its management. It was here that the name of Aidmore was born out of a contest held among children in the state to select a suitable name for the new institution.

March 15, 1941

September, 1941

A committee was appointed to investigate the purchase of a larger building to house the now successful Aidmore program.

September, 1941

November 13, 1941

Aidmore was moved to newly purchased property at 918 Peachtree Street where it remained in operation for 13 years.

November 13, 1941

1942

June 30, 1942

The first floor of Aidmore was remodeled and offered to the Crippled Children's Division of the Department of Public Welfare for use as an outpatient clinic. The offer was accepted and, in October of the same year, the first clinic was held there. At that time, Aidmore was offering in patientcare to the Crippled Children's Division at the rate of $2.00 per day.

June 30, 1942

1951

February 14, 1951

A charter was granted to Elks Aidmore, Inc. by the Superior Court of Fulton County as successor to the old Crippled Children League of Georgia. The petitioners for this charter were: Judge John S, McClelland, Atlanta Lodge; Robert G. Pruitt, Buckhead Lodge; Edward A. Dutton, Savannah Lodge; Dr. I. H. Etheridge, Atlanta Lodge; John B. McCollum, Columbus Lodge; J. Herbert Rogers, Dalton Lodge; C. Spencer Worthy, Cordele Lodge; and, Wayne Hinson, Waycross Lodge. All assets of the Crippled Children's League were then transferred to the new corporation.

February 14, 1951

November 3, 1951

The Elks Aidmore Auxiliary was organized as a confederation of local Auxiliaries throughout the state. The purpose of this Aidmore Auxiliary as stated in the bylaws adopted on this date was to promote "the general support of the crippled children's program of Georgia Elks through Elks Aidmore Hospital and related services". Mrs. Russell Trimble was the first President.

November 3, 1951

1954

November 15, 1954

Aidmore purchased 3.7 acres of land from Emory University to build the present hospital. The total cost of this project was $484,000. The building also included an outpatient clinic for the Crippled Children's Division. The hospital accepted its first patient on this date.

November 15, 1954

1955

July 1, 1955

An agreement was signed by Elks Aidmore, Inc. and the Citizens and Southern National Bank of Atlanta creating the Elks Aidmore Trust Fund for Crippled Children. This fund was to provide a permanent depository for memorial gifts, bequests, direct contributions, and other funds with the income being made available for the operation of Elks Aidmore Hospital. On March 14, 1963, asimilar trust agreement was made with First National Bank of Atlanta for the same purpose.

July 1, 1955

1960

October 1, 1960

Construction started on additions and renovations to the hospital and clinic buildings. This project, which included a tunnel connection to Egleston Hospital, was completed in January of 1962 and cost a total of $665,000.

October 1, 1960

1961

October 1, 1961

The Board of Trustees approved the providing of inpatient hospital services to adults on a selected basis. This was done to accommodate requests from the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation.

October 1, 1961

1963

March 1, 1963

The Vocation Evaluation Unit was opened as an outpatient service for handicapped adults. The purpose of this unit was to assess the vocational potential of adults suffering from a wide variety of physical, mental and social handicaps. The first unit was closed on April 1, 1966, when this function was merged with a larger program operated by the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation of the State Department of Education.

March 1, 1963

1967

December 3, 1967

Representatives of the Board of Trustees of Elks Aidmore, Inc. signed an affiliation agreement with Emory University. This agreement made Elks Aidmore Hospital an independent affiliate of Woodruff Medical Center of Emory University. This agreement made possible a closer working relationship between Aidmore Hospital, the eight divisions of the University in the area of health services, and seven other hospitals and institutions providing hospital and clinical services.

December 3, 1967

1969

December 1, 1969

The Georgia Center for the Multi-Handicapped Deaf-Blind began operation at Aidmore Hospital. This was a cooperative program jointly sponsored by the DeKalb Board of Education and Elks Aidmore Hospital for the evaluation of preschool children suffering from both visual and hearing impairment as aresult of maternal rubella. The Georgia Center for the Multi-HandicappedDeaf-Blind is an affiliate of the Southeastern Center for the Deaf-Blind in Talladega, Alabama.

December 1, 1969

1970

June 18, 1970

The first meeting was held of the newly reorganized Aidmore Medical Hospitaland Dental Staff with 52 physicians and dentists active in the Emory University and/or the Crippled Children's Service programs being granted charter membership.

June 18, 1970

1974

November 18, 1974

The Crippled Children's Unit of the Department of Human Resources moved fromthe Aidmore Clinic Building to larger quarters at 618 Ponce de Leon Avenue. This ended a relationship, which began 32 years ago when Aidmore first provided clinic space for the Crippled Children's Unit in the old building at 918 Peachtree Street.

November 18, 1974

1975

October 5, 1975

The Board of Trustees approved an amendment to the bylaws, which for the first time allowed full, voting membership on the Board of Trustees from the Elks Aidmore Auxiliary. The amendment provided for membership for the incumbent president and one representative from each of the four districts.

October 5, 1975

1976

March 15, 1976

The Elks Aidmore Hospital program was terminated because of increased operating costs and the building of a competing facility on the same block by Emory University. A planning committee was immediately charged with the responsibility of investigating other programs as an alternative to the hospital.

March 15, 1976

November 14, 1976

The Board of Trustees approved the sale of the hospital properties to Emory University, the purchase price to be based on the appraised value. The sale was eventually consummated on July 18, 1977. The purchase price was $1,268,373.83.

November 14, 1976

December 12, 1976

The Board of Trustees approved the lease of office space at 2834 Washington Street, Avondale Estates. While at this address, the program operated under the trade name of Elks Aidmore Children’s Fund.

December 12, 1976

1977

August 11, 1977

Aidmore received a letter of intent from the Frances Wood Wilson Foundation, owner and operator of the Plantation Manor Children's Home in Conyers, signifying their desire to grant the propertied to the Home of Elks Aidmore, Inc. Under the terms of the letter, the grant would be made in portions over aperiod of time not to exceed ten years.

August 11, 1977

November 22, 1977

Aidmore entered into a formal agreement with the Frances Wood Wilson Foundation providing for the operation of the Home and the granting of properties.

November 22, 1977

December 1, 1977

Elks Aidmore, Inc. officially took possession and assumed operating control of the Plantation Manor Children's Home under the terms of the agreement with the foundation. The home was renamed Elks Aidmore Children’s Home.

December 1, 1977

1983

February 21, 1983

The deed for the final distribution of the properties was signed by the Foundation. The official presentation of the deed was made by representatives of the Foundation to the Board of Trustees at its annual meeting on March 13, 1983, and Aidmore became sole owner of the children's home properties.

February 21, 1983

1984

August 27, 1984

The first day of school for Aidmore's new on-campus school program. The schoolwas started with eight girls who were not able to adjust to attendance in the Rockdale County public schools. A second teacher was hired and a second classroom opened subsequently in March of 1985.

August 27, 1984

1985

February 1, 1985

Aidmore was licensed by the State of Georgia as a Residential Treatment Facility for young people ages 12 through 18 with significant emotional and behavioral problems.

February 1, 1985

March 31, 1985

The Board of Trustees voted to change the name from Elks Aidmore Children’sHome to Elks Aidmore Children’s Center as being more in keeping with the program's status as a residential treatment facility.

March 31, 1985

1986

May 5, 1986

The Aidmore School Program received Provisional Accreditation from the Georgia Accrediting Commission.

May 5, 1986

October 5, 1986

The Board of Trustees approved an amendment to the bylaws providing for the appointment of a member of the Elks Aidmore Auxiliary to the Executive Committee of the governing board.

October 5, 1986

1987

March 9, 1987

The Aidmore School Program was granted full accreditation status by the Georgia Accrediting Commission. The Aidmore School became the first school accredited under the new special purpose school standards of the commission.

March 9, 1987

1992

March 1, 1992

The Board of Trustees approved the closing of the current Residential Treatment Facility and School due to continued operating expenses which exceed the revenues.

March 1, 1992

April 5, 1992

After a request to reconsider the closing of the Residential Treatment Facility and School, the Board of Trustees, once again, reaffirmed the original decision to close the project.

April 5, 1992

November 1, 1992

After many months of study of four possible projects, the Board of Trustees approved the Custodial Care Program as the new State Project. This project was designed to serve disadvantaged children of Georgia from ages 12 through 16 and will have a maximum capacity of 68 children. Referrals will be primarily from the Georgia Division of Family and Children Services. The program is designed to serve an all female population, with review planned at a laterdate to determine the feasibility of serving males.

November 1, 1992

1993

March 5, 1993

The development of the new Custodial Care Program was on schedule with children anticipated in campus in July, 1993.

March 5, 1993

June, 1993

Abe Wilkinson was hired as the new Executive Director for the program.

June, 1993

August 3, 1993

After hiring administrative personnel and staff for the Willis Cottage, the first resident for the new program arrived on campus on this date.

August 3, 1993

August 30, 1993

After hiring and training staff for the opening of the second cottage, the Wilson Cottage team accepted their first resident on this date.

August 30, 1993

December 20, 1993

Hiring and training staff for the third cottage was completed in late November and early December. On this date, Delta Cottage accepted their first resident into care.

December 20, 1993

1994

October 6, 1994

Ab Cottage, the fourth and last cottage on the Aidmore campus, opened on thisdate as a Preparation for Independent Living Cottage. The program was designed to provide a life skills curriculum for residents who would most likely not be returning to their families.

October 6, 1994

1995

March, 1995

The foundation was poured for the Elks Aidmore Memorial/Patron Plaza. Theplaza is located on the Elks Aidmore campus, directly in front of the Administration Building. The plaza serves as a perpetual remembrance of loved ones, both past and present.

March, 1995

April, 1995

Aidmore Executive Director and Aidmore Board President are honored by the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children as “Outstanding Administrator of a Child Welfare Agency” and “Outstanding Board Service to a Child Welfare Agency”, respectively.

April, 1995

May, 1995

During the annual Open House, the Memorial/Patron Plaza was officially dedicated.

May, 1995

June, 1995

The Georgia Elks Aidmore Endowment was created during this month. The Endowment, fashioned after the Elks National Foundation, was established to provide opportunities for regular and honor membership, in support of Elks Aidmore Children’s Center.

June, 1995

1996

April, 1996

Elks Aidmore initiated collaboration with CHRIS Homes, Creative Community Services, Georgia Baptist Children’s Homes and Family Ministries, and Gwinnett Children’s Shelter to form the Multi-Agency Alliance for Children (MAAC). Asixth member, Inner Harbour Hospitals, joined the alliance at a later date. The mission of MAAC was to provide a seamless array of services to youth andtheir families, from in-home family preservation through intensive hospitalization. Elks Aidmore CEO Abe Wilkinson served as the first President of MAAC and retained the position for 7 years.

April, 1996

May 16, 1996

Elks Aidmore Children’s Center receives notice that they have been accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, Inc.

May 16, 1996

1997

April 14, 1997

With a focus on developing the Adventures Ropes and camping programs to increase program exposure and generate new revenues, a Marketing and Public Relations Director begins employment with Elks Aidmore. In addition, the Executive Director of Elks Aidmore begins the first of two terms as the President of the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children.

April 14, 1997

June 19, 1997

Employees of the Home Depot store in Conyers became the first group to utilize the Adventures Ropes course. The ropes course training was provided at no cost in exchange for Home Depot building two adirondack shelters for the campsite.

June 19, 1997

October 16, 1997

The campground was used on this date by the Rockdale Professional Counselors and became the official “opening date” for use of the camping facilities

October 16, 1997

1998

January, 1998

The Multi-Agency Alliance for Children negotiates its first agreement with the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice, providing a “pilot” program designed for eight children and youth.

January, 1998

April 17, 1998

The first Golf Fore Kids tournament, benefitting Elks Aidmore Children’sCenter, was held at The Oaks in Covington.

April 17, 1998

June, 1998

Elks Aidmore receives a $54,000 grant from the Governor’s Children’s Trust Fund to establish a position for a Family Preservation and Aftercare Coordinator. The grant is awarded for an eighteen-month period beginning on October 1, 1998.

June, 1998

September, 1998

The Executive Committee of Elks Aidmore designed and independently funded the construction of a walkway on the Aidmore campus to honor Aidmore President Ed Hixon.

September, 1998

November 21, 1998

The first “Turkey Trot” 5K run fund raiser was held on the Aidmore campus.

November 21, 1998

December, 1998

With an anonymous gift of $5000, the Executive Committee approved placing the money in a scholarship account in Ed Hixon’s name. The funds will be used to provide scholarships to current residents and recent graduates of Elks Aidmore Children’s Center.

December, 1998

1999

Spring, 1999

Major renovations are completed on the Aidmore campus. Renovations include: re-carpeting the cottages, reupholstering the furniture in the cottages, painting the cottages and the gymnasium; installing vinyl siding on the cottages, paving the road behind the cottages, enclosing and painting the Butler Building, purchasing new computers and a voice-mail answering system for the administration building, and installing security systems in the cottages.

Spring, 1999

March 4, 1999

Grand Exalted Ruler Valentine “Val” Bates conducted the ribbon cutting for the opening of the Supervised Apartment for Independent Living (SAIL). The apartment provides housing for two residents who have completed the Preparation for Independent Living program in Ab Cottage.

March 4, 1999

April, 1999

The Multi-Agency Alliance for Children is awarded a $100,000 grant from the Joseph P. Whitehead Foundation to allow for the continuation of the collaborative under the supervision of a part-time executive director.

April, 1999

October 10, 1999

Bianca Garrett, Cherokee Lodge #2727, is installed as the first female Elk toserve on the Board of Trustees for Elks Aidmore.

October 10, 1999

May 2, 1999

The “Edward L. Hixon Walkway of Merit” is dedicated during the annual Aidmore Open House. Brenda Hixon (wife) and Kathy Johnson (daughter) cut the ceremonial ribbon to officially dedicate the walkway.

May 2, 1999

2000

January 23, 2000

The pavilion located on the Aidmore campus burned to the ground as a result of an electrical fire caused during an ice storm.

January 23, 2000

April, 2000

Construction of a new pavilion is completed on the same site as the original pavilion. Renovations to the bathrooms in the gymnasium are completed and the interior of the gymnasium is completely repainted. Three new 18-passenger vans are purchased.

April, 2000

May, 2000

Elks Aidmore Children’s Center receives notice that they have been reaccredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, Inc. Renovations are completed to the kitchens and laundry rooms in all of the residential cottages.

May, 2000

July, 2000

The first Aidmore resident to enter the Armed Services completed basic training. Prior to her entrance into the Army, she made the highest score on the ASVAB of any resident in Rockdale County history.

July, 2000

August, 2000

The first current resident of the “new” program entered college for the fall semester. She attended Clark-Atlanta University in Atlanta, with a major in pre-med.

August, 2000

September, 2000

Water lines are installed connecting the majority of the campus with Rockdale County Water Resources. Following the pavilion fire in January, the decision is also made to install fire hydrants at strategic locations throughout thecampus.

September, 2000

October, 2000

Elks Aidmore received a $10,000 grant from the John H. and Wilhelmina D.Harland Charitable Foundation to create the position of Clinical Coordinator for Independent Living.

October, 2000

November, 2000

The first community-based independent living apartment was opened in Clarkston, with expectations to expand the program into other areas of the state. The gymnasium kitchen was expanded and completely remodeled. Construction was completed on a bath house and pavilion complex at Honey Creek Campground.

November, 2000

2001

March, 2001

Elks Aidmore received a second grant for $10,000 from the Frances Wood Wilson Foundation to complete funding for the position of Clinical Coordinator for Independent Living.

March, 2001

April, 2001

All residents of Elks Aidmore Children’s Center spent a week at the Florida Elks Youth Camp. The Florida Elks provided $10,000 in assistance to make the trip possible. Residents visited Disney, Epcot and SeaWorld during their stay.

April, 2001

May 6, 2001

The monument erected to house the cornerstone from the old Aidmore Hospital was dedicated on this date.

May 6, 2001

August 16, 2001

Fulton County Property, also known as the Robinson Property, is sold to Stanley Knowles.

August 16, 2001

September 1, 2001

State Representative Jim Martin is appointed the Commissioner of the Georgia Department of Human Resources by Governor Roy Barnes.

September 1, 2001

October, 2001

The first Haunted Halloween Hayrides were held on the Aidmore campus onOctober 19th, 20th, 26th and 27th. The hay rides were initiated as a fundraiser for Elks Aidmore.

October, 2001

2002

April, 2002

Tracy Roberson, Cottage Coordinator for Wilson Cottage, was named as Child Care Worker for the year by the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children.

April, 2002

2003

March, 2003

Rachel Tamerat, a former resident of Elks Aidmore, received the prestigious Kids to Kids National Service Award from the Child Welfare League of America. The award is presented annually to a young person to celebrate his/her accomplishments and outstanding contributions to the community through volunteerism. In her acceptance speech, Rachel cited Elks Aidmore “as thefirst place where I felt loved and cared for.” June, 2003

The Family House was converted into a second housing unit for the Independent Living Program and becomes known as SAIL 2. The first residents move into the house during this month.

March, 2003

2004

January, 2004

Governor Sonny Perdue included $12.9 million in his Amended Fiscal Year Budgetto fund the Level of Care Placement System. The Board of Trustees authorized a “land swap” with developer Steve Goodsell to allow easier access to the Elks Aidmore property from Tucker Mill Road.

January, 2004

April, 2004

Elks Aidmore CEO is elected to a one-year term to the 12-member board of the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children.

April, 2004

May 2004

Elks Aidmore Children’s Center receives notice that they have been reaccredited by the Council on Accreditation of Services for Families and Children, Inc. Elks Aidmore Memorial Brick Plaza is expanded to include an additional wall. Governor Perdue announced the appointment of B. J. Walker as the new Commissioner of the Georgia Department of Human Resources.

May 2004

October, 2004

Elks Aidmore received $10,000 grant from the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Posse to purchase new dining room furniture for all of the cottages.

October, 2004

2005

January, 2005

The Georgia Elks Association was recognized as a Champion for Children by Georgia First Lady Mary Perdue. The award was presented based on the work that the Elks do through Elks Aidmore.

January, 2005

March, 2005

In response to the changing philosophy of the Department of Human Resources to place all state children in family foster care, and a subsequent reduction in referrals and revenues for Elks Aidmore, the Board of Trustees closed Wilson Cottage.

March, 2005

April 17, 2005

The New Friends Library opened on the second floor of the Elks Aidmore Administration Building.

April 17, 2005

October, 2005

Georgia reaches a settlement agreement in the case of Kenny A. vs. Sonny Perdue. The suit was originally filed in 2001, alleging mistreatment of children and youth in shelters in Fulton and DeKalb counties. A Consent Decree was signed outlining several outcome measures that must be met in order for the case to not proceed to trial.

October, 2005

2006

November, 2006

Elks Aidmore received another $10,000 grant from the DeKalb County Sheriff’sPosse to upgrade Wilson Cottage.

November, 2006

April, 2006

Elks Aidmore Children’s Center is recognized as Agency of the Year by the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children. Program Director Vickey Hale is also honored as Supervisor of the Year.

April, 2006

2007

March, 2007

The Finance Committee makes a recommendation to the Executive Committee thatthe fiscal year for Elks Aidmore be extended by three months and that the new fiscal year is established as July 1 through June 30 to coincide with the State budget. The Executive Committee accepted the recommendation andforwarded it to the Board of Trustees for approval. Approval was given on June 24, 2007.

March, 2007

April, 2007

The Agnes Hale Trust (LaGrange, Georgia) makes a donation of $418,269 instocks and cash to Elks Aidmore Children’s Center. Since 1999, the Hale Trust has donated $856,000 to Elks Aidmore, the largest contribution from a single source.

April, 2007

June, 2007

CEO Abe Wilkinson is elected Treasurer for the Multi-Agency Alliance for Children.

June, 2007

July, 2007

The Department of Human Resources implemented changes to the methodology by which private agencies are reimbursed; all therapeutic services are contracted through a Medicaid Rehab Option model.

July, 2007

2008

Spring, 2008

Snapping Shoals EMC provides two grants totaling $17,000 to replace windows inthe Administration Building and make major repairs and upgrades to the Ropes Course.

Spring, 2008

Summer, 2008

The Alcovy Magazine, a periodical serving Rockdale and Newton counties, runs a three-part series of articles on the service offered by Elks Aidmore. The summer of 2008 also marked the beginning of a severe economic downturn that impacted state revenues and budgets for the state departments supporting programs like Elks Aidmore.

Summer, 2008

August, 2008

Elks Aidmore receives notification that it has been reaccredited by the Council on Accreditation for the fourth time.

August, 2008

October, 2008

Elks Aidmore held a 70th Anniversary Celebration on the Conyers campus on October 5th. October also marked the beginning of Elks Aidmore’s presence on social networking sites such as MySpace and Facebook.

October, 2008

2009

February, 2009

The Board of Trustees approved the purchase of the Denton property for $225,000. The 16-acre property, adjacent to Elks Aidmore’s current property, also had frontage on Highway 138 to allow for an alternate access to the Elks Aidmore property. A four bedroom, 3 bath house was located in the center of the property. Tentative plans were to use the house as a retreat center for visiting guests and corporate sponsors.

February, 2009

May, 2009

Elks Aidmore receives the second of two $10,000 checks from the estate of R. Arthur “Ramie” Brewer of Dublin.

May, 2009

June, 2009

Due to continuing revenue shortfalls and declining referrals, the Board of Trustees votes to downsize the program to twelve (12) residents and 11 full-time, 2 part-time staff.

June, 2009

July, 2009

The Department of Humans Resources begins reorganizing into the Department of Human Services. Many fear it is the beginning of services becoming even more fragmented and harder to access.

July, 2009

2010

January, 2010

After continuing decline in operating revenues, the Board of Trustees votes to appoint a Transition Committee to review other service options for children, youth and their families.

January, 2010

June, 2010

The Board of Trustees adopts a three-year Business Plan for Transition. The plan is designed to expand the residential program to serve 6 boys and develop several community-based programs like Therapeutic Foster Care, respite services, and Community Based Alternatives for Youth (CBAY). Adoption of the plan also allows for the expansion of community-based services into South Georgia. Projections are for the residential program to serve 19 youth, while the community services programs will expand to serve up to 48 youth and families by the end of the three-year plan. The plan is to be implemented in stages, beginning July 1, 2010.

June, 2010

2011

November, 2011

Elks Aidmore hires Jackie Jordan as the Director of Community Services. Jackie is a former foster parent and adopted two children whom she fostered. She brought with her many years of experience in the fields child welfare and foster care.

November, 2011

April, 2011

After several months of applications, visits and revisits from the Office of Provider Management, the Department of Human Services contract is amended to allow the admission of males into the residential program. The first male arrived on the campus on April 4th. Elks Aidmore also received a temporary license from the Office of Regulatory Services as a Child Placing Agency, thefirst step in expanding services to include Therapeutic Foster Care.

The Office of Provider Management, Division of Family and Children Services,rolled out a plan to deliver “report cards” on agency performance. It is seen as the beginning of outcomes-based contracting. February, 2012

The Office of Provider Management approves the expansion of the program for Therapeutic Foster Care and includes the change in the amended contract. Services were immediately instituted.

April, 2011

2012

March, 2012

The Board of Trustees approves the lease of a satellite office in Valdosta, Georgia. The office will provide services for Therapeutic Foster Care and Community-Based Alternatives for Youth.

March, 2012

April, 2012

The Elks Aidmore Music Festival was held at the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers. The event, designed to be a major fund raiser for ElksAidmore, lost over $20,000, but raised public awareness for the agency and its programs.

April, 2012

August, 2012

Charlie Reed, a member of the Atlanta Northlake Elks Lodge #78, passed away, leaving his estate to Elks Aidmore.

August, 2012

2013

May, 2013

With approval from, the Board of Directors, Elks Aidmore reduced the number of girls cottages from three to two. Also, based on the low number of referrals, the Board approved the cessation of referrals and placements for the boy’scottage.

The Therapeutic Foster Care program has grown to serve 27 youth. The Ambrose Golf Group, affiliated with Turner Broadcasting, held a charity golf event for Elks Aidmore, netting over $10,000.

May, 2013

June, 2013

The Board of Trustees approves an agreement with The Washington Group to assist with the development of the satellite office in Valdosta. The following charts depict the growth of Elks Aidmore since the implementation ofthe Transitional Plan in 2010.

June, 2013

September, 2013

Elks Aidmore receives approval from the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities to expand the services being provided under the Community-Based Alternatives for Youth programs.

September, 2013

2014

January, 2014

Elks Aidmore receives a $10,000 grant from The Rich Foundation in Atlanta to support the educational program on the residential campus in Conyers.

January, 2014

March, 2014

Elks Aidmore hired Cathy Burkes to head the Valdosta office. Cathy had servedas a regional resource advisor for foster and adoptive families for the past 12 years. She is a former recipient of the Foster Parent of the Year Award for Lowndes County Department of Children and Family Services and received the Citizen of the Year Award from the Mayor’s Council on Developmental Disabilities.

Elks Aidmore rejoins Together Georgia, formerly known as the Georgia Association of Homes and Services for Children. Governor Nathan Deal appoints a Child Welfare Reform Council, charged with the responsibility of making recommendations for change to the delivery of child welfare services in the state of Georgia.

March, 2014

April, 2014

Elks Aidmore receives distributions from the Agnes Hale Trust in excess of $660,000.

April, 2014

May, 2014

The Ambrose Golf Group, affiliated with Turner Broadcasting, held a second charity golf event for Elks Aidmore, netting over $7,000. The Charlie Reedhouse sold for $90,000, completing transfer of the final estate assets to Elks Aidmore. The majority of furnishings were moved to the property on Highway 138, now officially designated “The Reed House”.

May, 2014

September, 2014

Therapeutic Foster Care programs, offered through the Conyers and Valdosta offices, are providing services to almost 60 children and youth each month.

September, 2014

2015

February, 2015

Due to the rapid expansion of the Therapeutic Foster Care program, and the subsequent lack of office space, one of the empty cottages is converted to office space for the staff serving the youth on the residential campus.

February, 2015

March, 2015

The Board of Trustees approves a new Business Plan for Elks Aidmore, outlining opportunities for the next three years. Two major components of the plan are the addition of a Chief Operations Officer and the creation of a supporting foundation.

March, 2015

May, 2015

The Therapeutic Foster Care programs in Conyers and Valdosta are now serving approximately 95 children and youth per day in 75 foster homes. The Board of Trustees approves a $5.5 million dollar budget for the fiscal year beginning July 1, 2015. The amount is a new milestone for the program as it has existed since the late 1970’s.

May, 2015

July, 2015

Vickey Hale, Program Director for Residential Services, assumes the duties ofthe newly created Chief Operating Officer. Vickey has been employed by Elks Aidmore since August of 1993, having served in a variety of capacities. She is pursuing her Doctorate in Social Work, with an anticipated completed date of 2017.

July, 2015

October, 2015

Queenyona Boyd-Richards, a former Elks Aidmore client, was elected to be the voice of foster youth on the Board of Directors for the Multi-Agency Alliance for Children (MAAC).

October, 2015

December, 2015

The Elks Aidmore Board of Trustees approves a supplemental budget that includes the expansion of the Therapeutic Foster Care program into Savannah.

December, 2015

2016

March, 2016

The Savannah office officially opens with the hiring of Heather Fox as the Office Manager/Family Consultant. Heather was previously employed in the Elks Aidmore program in Conyers.

March, 2016

April, 2016

The Elks Aidmore Board of Trustees approves the proposed Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation to create the Aidmore Charitable Trust. The purpose of the Trust will be to increase community participation, identifying influential individuals who can assist in raising funds to support operations of Elks Aidmore. The Board of Directors for the Trust will consist of an equal number of Elks/Auxiliary members and community participants. Upon this approval, application for 501(c)3 status with the Internal Revenue Service will be submitted.

Elks Aidmore receives an “expedited” decision on the agency’s recent on-site review by the Council on Accreditation. On a national level, only about 10% of agencies seeking accreditation receive an expedited decision. This achievement represents the second consecutive cycle in which Elks Aidmore has been“expedited”. Elks Aidmore has been continuously accredited by the Council on Accreditation since 1995.

The Board of Trustees approves a $6.8 million budget for FY17. The budgetfunds the continuing expansion of the Therapeutic Foster Care offices in Conyers, Savannah and Valdosta; establishes a retirement plan for current employees of the agency; and, reorganizes the residential program to serve youth classified as Maximum Watchful Oversight.

April, 2016