Become a Volunteer or Mentor
Have you ever thought about making a difference in a young person’s life?
The Mentor/Volunteer program at Elks Aidmore, Inc. provides the opportunity to make a difference in the life of a child. Elks Aidmore provides a home to adolescent girls ages 12 – 21. Many of the young women at Elks Aid more have little or no family support or any support network. Your time, commitment and energy can make a difference. We know from experience that children with active, involved mentors have a higher success rate than children without mentors.
Why should I become a mentor/volunteer?
By becoming a mentor you give young people a chance to grow and explore. With adult guidance, they are more likely to make positive choices and changes.
Mentoring Is a two way street.
Mentors can make a difference in young people’s lives… and young people can make a difference in theirs.
Being a Mentor/Volunteer makes societal changes.
Building positive relationships with young people is an investment. It helps them stay on course and become responsible, productive adults.
Are Mentors/Volunteers Expected to turn lives around?
No one person can accomplish such a huge task! But, being a mentor is an important first step. It can provide young people with new direction and a new outlook on life.
What does it take to be a mentor/volunteer?
- Time A minimum of a few hours a week is usually required. Consistent contact is one of the keys to building trust.
- Patience Strong relationships often develop slowly. Mentors need to “hang in there” and not give up. Patience and determination carry their own powerful messages.
- Respect for Boundaries Honoring a young person’s need for privacy is important. Trying to get too close too soon can affect the building of a trusting relationship.
- Communication Skills Young people need adults who can listen.
- Kindness, Humor and an Open Heart
How do I become a mentor/volunteer?
- Call Elks Aidmore, Inc. and ask to speak with the mentor/volunteer coordinator.
- Fill out an online application form.
- Or you can print and mail/fax a filled out pdf application.
- Print, complete and drop off the Release Form Packet at our office with original signatures.
- Agree to a background check (at our expense).
- Attend one of our quarterly orientations on mentoring.
- Commit to the program for at least one year